Geek Freely: samba

    Featured Post

    The whole point in this post is to run your own VPN service, and allow you to connect remote devices to your home network.

    To start off yo…

    Showing posts with label samba.

    Showing posts with label samba.

    So I decided to setup a samba share on my Plex Media Server so I could pull off the mobile photos that are uploaded.

    First off you need to know the location of your mobile uploads, on Ubuntu Server 12.04 that would be:

    cd /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Media\ Upload/Mobile\ Photos/

    Once you are aware of the location you can now define the samba share. Open the following file, with write privileges:

    sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

    At the very end of this file, put in your share details:

    [Pictures]

    path = /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Media Upload/Mobile Photos/

    available = yes

    valid users = macleod

    read only = yes

    browseable = yes

    public = yes

    writable = no

    Share name is [Pictures], path is obviously path and the rest of the settings are self-explanatory.

    Restart samba using the following command

    sudo service smbd restart

    And to test the syntax use the following:

    testparm

    I used the following link for most of the information provided here:

    Previously on FreeNAS 0.7.2 I had to use the following configuration

    to get additional speed on my transfers, and those benefits were only

    when copying to the NAS, not from it.

    Everything was acceptable on FreeNAS 0.7.2, however updates had

    halted, FreeNAS took a leap to version 0.7.5, which there is no official

    upgrade route from 0.7.2, then 0.7.5 seems to have branched off into

    NAS4Free.

    So what to do?

    I changed my FreeNAS 0.7.2 installation into an embedded install,

    then upgraded to 0.7.5.  At this point I had to re-mount all my drives

    (backup configurations at every stage).  I was able to check the

    permissions I had configured by checking my old configuration_###.xml

    files.  Within minutes I had FreeNAS 0.7.5 running, additional benefits

    were already there – however the plan was to move to NAS4Free since I

    see FreeNAS support halting completely in the future.

    Upgrading to NAS4Free, while experimental, was the simplest process:

    Make a backup of your configuration. (Web GUI ‘System|Backup/Restore’)

    Modify the configuration by changing the upper most

    and the most lowest string

    on the configuration to

    and

    respectively.

    Change the version to 1.0.

    Burn the Live CD (ISO) and install NAS4Free.

    Restart the server without the CDROM.

    Import your modified configuration (Web GUI ‘System|Backup/Restore’) and restore.

    At this point I was able to remove all the extra auxiliary parameters for SAMBA.

    Update:  NAS4Free has an upgrade path from FreeNAS now.

    Notes can be found at the following location:

    This version supports upgrading from FreeNAS 0.7.2 or 0.7.5.

    The supported lowest config version is 8.9. (0.7.2.5246)

    So I have FreeNAS running samba shares on my network, for the most part I really don’t need to access the data on my actually Linux boxes – only my HTPC.

    But I decided I wanted to create mount point on the media folder of my Ubuntu install.

    So here is what I had to do in fstab (/etc/fstab)

    //freenas_server/sharename /media/localsharedirectory cifs credentials=/home/macleod/smb.credentials,uid=mountuser,gid=mountgroup,iocharset=utf8,codepage=cp437,auto 0 0

    My credentials are stored in smb.credentials, like so:

    username=myuname

    password=mypwd

    And I got most of the information from here:

    Obviously replace mountgroup, mountuser with your ubuntu username and group (group is probably the same as name).  Also replace the appropriate shares and credentials – hopefully you get the picture.

    UPDATE:

    I edited the fstab entry so I now define the iocharset and codepage, this is so foreign characters are displayed correctly in the filesystem, and applications.  I noticed the issue due to having display issues in iSub and Subsonic.

    UPDATE2:

    The DOS Charset should be CP437 – CP850 is missing a few which I needed for foreign language music artists.

    Subscribe to:

    Labels

    Blog Archive

    Links

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.